Recipe courtesy of My Recipes
- 1 beef tri-tip (2 to 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground toasted cumin seeds, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- About 1 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- About 1 tsp. freshly ground(s) black pepper, divided
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup(s) fresh orange juice, or 2/3 cup sour orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons(s) minced garlic
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine (we suggest merlot) *addition to original recipe
- Rinse and dry tri-tip. Rub with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Whisk together 1 tsp. cumin, dried oregano, 1 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper; massage into tri-tip. Let sit 30 minutes.
- Make sauce: In a blender, whirl juices with remaining cumin, the fresh oregano, the garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, and remaining olive oil. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds), leaving a cleared area if using charcoal. Grill tri-tip, turning to brown evenly and, on charcoal, moving it to wherever heat is medium (see “Our Live-Fire Grilling Secrets,” below), until a thermometer inserted in center reads 125° to 130° for medium-rare, 25 to 30 minutes. Let meat rest 15 minutes, then cut across the grain into thin, slanting slices. Serve with sauce.
*We suggest adding a 1/2 cup of dry red wine (merlot or syrah) to marinate for an added layer of flavor in the meat.